Our Company is part of The Bridge Church (Evesham Rd, Headles Cross, B97 4JX)
Our Company is part of The Bridge Church, Redditch.
We were part of Headless Cross Methodist Church from September 1960 until 25th February 2009, when Headless Cross Methodist Church and St. Luke's joined together as an Ecumenical Church called The Bridge based on the St. Luke's site.
In 1998 the Methodist Church discovered a very bad attack of dry rot in the vestry on the road side of the building. After taking advice, it was decided that action had to be taken. Due to the shape of the inside of the Church, it was only really suitable for Sunday worship, and not weekday activities (there were two rooms available). The Church Council took that hard decision to demolish the Church and associated buildings and build a brand new multipurpose building that would better serve the community. After five years of planning, it was impossible to find the right partners to build this new Church building.
At the same time St Luke's Church of England Parish Church Council, discovered they had problems with their building and needed a redevelopment. For a year exploratory talks were held and late 2007 both Churches agreed to move forward together, planning to form a partnership, with the aim of becoming one Church on the St Luke's site, with new buildings, serving the Headless Cross community. We closed the Methodist Church in September 2009 and worshiped as one community on the St Luke.s site and the new church was called "The Bridge"
The Boys Brigade meet on Friday's during term time in the Bridge Memorials Halls.
Headless Cross was first seen written as ‘Headley’ in 1275. In the early nineteenth century, it was rewritten as Headley’s Cross. This version of the forename of the Church could have been derived from a Saxon Chieftain whose name was Hedda.
By 1810, Redditch was a circuit with two ministers, however unlike today’s services the services in 1810 sometimes-contained violence or in a few cases unwanted musical interludes.
“In one church, the entire congregation warmly thanked a Mrs. Turner after dealing with a band of hooligans carrying a fife drum and pans. The gallant Mrs. Turner emerged from the church brandishing a knife! (Which she quickly used to slice the skin on the top of the drum).”
Worship at Headless Cross Methodist Church began in 1820. (Today it would have been in house number 44, Birchfield Road.
In Headless Cross, the Wesleyans built their first Chapel on Evesham Road in 1827. It was then replaced in 1858 and in1873. However, on the night of Sunday 24th March 1895 not a moment after the caretaker had locked up and left the Church . . .
“. . . I looked back and saw the tyrannous wind lift the roof clean off the Church within a matter of seconds the entire Church had been turned into a pile of rumble it was if a bomb had exploded . . .”
This was indeed a tragic day for the Methodists attending the Headless Cross Church. Nevertheless the squeaky-clean souls of the Methodists in Redditch that within a year a brand new Church was built.
The Wesleyan Church did indeed like our Church today a Sunday School and it had an interest in education